Hobson, a bustling little village of 224 industrious residents, celebrated its Centennial over the July 4th weekend of 2008, making it 103 years old. Early farmers and ranchers originally settled along the Judith River five miles to the west and named their outpost Philbrook.
However, with the coming of the railroad in 1908, the residents voted to move the town to be nearer to the new transportation. Simeon Hobson, a local politician, donated a few hundred acres for a townsite and a new town was born—honoring his donation by naming it Hobson.
The government is Mayor/Town Council form with the mayor serving a four year term and four town council persons (2 from each precinct –east and west) also serving four year terms.
The mayor’s office telephone number is 423-5292. The city hall, which also houses the volunteer fire department, is located at 106 Main Street.